Tutorial: Say thank you after receiving an unexpected gift
I recently received a gift from my sister. She knows I love books about typography so she gave me "Elegantissima: The Design and Typography of Louise Fili". It was a perfect gift! So to thank her, I decided to send her a thank you card. I don't know about you, but I always find it very difficult to write thank you notes. I can't seem to find the words that express exactly what I'm feeling. It's just so much easier to say thanks and give a hug. However, this wasn't enough. I knew I had to say something more meaningful in a card. These are the steps I took to write my message:
1) Describe the moment you got the present. Write about what you were doing. How did you get the gift? How did you find it?
2) Praise the gift wrap. Describe what you liked about it, especially if it was very original.
3) Describe your feelings. How did the gift make you feel? What does the gift mean to you?
4) Remark something about the person that gave you the present. Tell them that he or she means more to you than the present, the gift is only a manifestation of this fact.
5) Finish with saying thank you again and don't be afraid to add something more special like "I love you", but only if you mean it!
And if you mess up, you can cut out a piece of paper and paste it inside the card. I almost always do this!
I hope these steps help you write more thank you cards!